|Utila Animal Rescue & Pet Care was founded by Dr. Loretta Potts and Rodger Mehrer, and is run and funded by them with the help of volunteers and donations from caring people like you. The majority of people on the island of Utila cannot afford to pay for their pet’s care, so it is crucial for those who can afford to pay for their animal rescue and pet care do so. We are also counting on the help of all those who love animals and understand how important it is to control the animal population on the island and keep pets healthy and happy. Thankfully, many donors have helped our efforts!
Whether you live in Utila, visited the island in the past or simply love animals, we are counting on your help.
How much it all costs.
Monthly operating costs (electricity, rent)
- Electricity $100-$200 per month
- Typical spay $50-75
- Dog neuter $30-50
Below, are detailed prices of certain medications that have to be brought from the United States monthly.
- Anesthesia $15-$30 per surgery
- Suture material $10 per pack (2-3 packs needed per procedure)
- Antibiotics $5-10 per procedure and are given to every patient
- Vaccines $8-20 per dose and are given to every patient
- Injections $6-25 per injection for infections, pre medications, tranquilization and many others
- Antibiotics for infections $20-50 depending on the kind of infection being treated
- Blood transfusions $75-150 per transfusion
To be able to open the clinic in Utila, Loretta and Rodger had to purchase a number of necessary machines:
- Autoclave to sterilize all instruments $3000
- Isoflourane anesthesia machine $5000
- Operating table $1000
- Operating Lamp $1700
- Air-conditioning $750
The love for animals of our team of volunteers has continued to keep the UAR clinic going, as well as donations from caring folks like yourselves. We truly appreciate everyone’s contributions!!!
|Please Donate to Utila Animal Rescue Efforts – Thank You!!|